CONGRATULATIONS #NYANCATCITY ART RAFFLE WINNERS!
Thank you to all artists and participants! And congratulations to all winners—many of which were from the very community that donated to the cause. (Winners were drawn blindly and publicly by Kia Kamran, Attorney at Law.)
This Saturday, as part of #NyanCatCity, New York Art Department hosted Cut & Paste: A day dedicated to the DYI culture of Zines in the context of digital culture. The day’s event included a zine-making workshop organized by NYC’s Luck You Collective; a zine stand curated by NYAD’s own, Julian Gilbert and Printed Matter; an Art Talk panel discussion centered on self-publishing on and off-line; and the central event: an Art Raffle fundraiser for Printed Matter:
Printed Matter is the world’s largest non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of publications made by artists.
Last October Hurricane Sandy flooded Printed Matter’s basement, destroying thousands of books and severely damaging archives dating back to 1978. The damaged collection has been freeze-dried as a temporary solution—but the archive must be digitized before the works deteriorate and are gone forever. It is essential to preserve these historical works for future generations.
For the fundraiser, New York Art Department asked artists to donate original Nyan Cat-inspired artworks to raise funding for the digitization of the this priceless archive. The artworks were shown and raffled off at The Hole between 12 and 8PM. Tickets were sold for $10.00 and all proceeds will support Printer Matter’s rescue efforts.
We are pleased to list the lucky winners below, and announce that all artworks from the exhibition will be published in a commemorative zine to be sold as the second phase of our fundraising effort for Printed Matter.
Please e-mail Marcella Zimmermann to coordinate pick up of your new artwork:
1. BEAU, Untitled (Nyan Cat) | Winner: Sean Gibson
2. KOSBY, Untitled (Nyan Cat) | Winner: Adriana
3. JESSE EDWARDS, Nyan Cat City | Winner: Soba Ishima
4. DOWNER, Untitled (Nyan Cat) | Winner: Zahra
5. MAGGIE LEE, Untitled (Nyan Cat)
6. ERIK FOSS, Kitty Porn | Winner: Wendy Dembo
7. HARRY MCNALLY, Meow | Winner: Ren McKnight
8. JAMES, Untitled | Winner: Arnaud Delecolle
9. OTHELO GERVACIO, Untitled (Nyan Cat) | Winner: Wendy Dembo
10. WOMP, Untitled (Nyan Cat)
11. BAST, Untitled | Winner: Erik Foss
12. MRS, Untitled (Nyan Cat) | Winner: Chris Torres
13. GUILHERME MACHADO, Untitled (Nyan Cat) | Winner: Adriana
14. MR. KIJI, Untitled (Nyan Cat) | Winner: Victor Fung
15. TOM SACHS, Untitled (I Made This Drawing…) | Winner: Ailsa Wong
16. TODD JAMES, Untitled (Nyan Cat) | Winner: Baron Von Fancy
17. SOBA ESHIMA, Untitled (Cardigan) | Winner: Soba Eshima
18. CHARLES SHEDDEN, Untitled (Nyan Cat) | Winner: Carmen Hall
19. ROSS SCHANER, Untitled (Nyan Cat) | Winner: Chris Torres
20. BRIANNA HARDEN, Untitled (Nyan Cat) | Winner: Ruba
21. RUSK, Untitled (Nyan Cat)
22. NICK SETHI, Untitled (Nyan Cat)
23. BEN RAYNER, Untitled (Nyan Cat) | Winner: Kevin Lyons
24. BARON VON FANCY, Untitled (Nyan Nyan Nyan) | Winner: Mr. Kiji
25. YUK, Untitled (Nyan Cat) | Winner: Julian Gilbert
26. CLARA GOLDFARB & MAIA RUTH LEE, Untitled (Nyan Cat) | Winner: Baron Von Fancy
27. MARK CROSS, What Does It All Meme? | Winner: Marcella Zimmermann
28. JULIAN GILBERT, Cats Rule Everything Around Me | Winner: Stephanie Bair-Garant
29. ROMON YANG (ROSTARR), Untitled (Nyan Cat) | Winner: Kevin Breznwhen
30. FOREIGN SUBJECT, Untitled (Projection)
Thank you to The Hole for hosting our event, and to our media partners AOL Artists, tumblr, and Mashable.com.
NEW YORK ART DEPARTMENT PRESENTS:
DECEMBER 13 - 16, 2012
NYAN CAT TAKES OVER DOWNTOWN NYC WITH #NYANCATCITY: A 4-DAY CULTURAL EVENT INSPIRED BY THE INTERNET
WHAT’S IN THE CAT’S RAINBOW TRAIL?
NYAN CAT’s success is powered by the energy of 100+ million fans. META #NYANCAT is, de facto, NYAN CAT looking in and sharing what makes it go: the fans and the #NYANCAT-tagged images they share on tumblr, Twitter and Instagram.
Conceptualized for #NYANCATCITY by New York Art Department and developed in collaboration with UK-based wemakeawesomesh.it, META #NYANCAT not only aggregates and brings fans along a star lit 8-bit musical ride for all to see: It allows NYAN CAT to notice users whose images were prompted in the interactive rainbow trail and send personalized “Thank You”tweets the fans that posted them. At times, fans may even be rewarded with special gifts.
As for #NYANCATCITY, META #NYANCAT will aslo aggrate the event’s namesake and other event related hashtags to bring local participants and faraway fans closer together, as it should be.
We hope to see you at #NYANCATCITY.
Page 1 of 2